Friday, September 4, 2020

Manrope


Day 327: Come aboard, matey, an' see you've a good grip on th' manrope fer th' seas be a bit rough fer lubbers th' likes o' yerse'f.

No, this is not the beginnings of a Morgan Corbye tale. My inspiration in that regard has fled temporarily, but not my love of things piratical. A box in my crafts cupboard has been nagging at me lately, so I dragged it out of storage, grabbed my marlinespike and made a few practice knots to retrain hands accustomed to quilting thread and fine crochet cotton to the bulk of rope. Once I had assured myself that I hadn't lost my touch, I set to creating a manrope. At its head, there is a bight which can be looped over a cleat for ease of removal when not in use. A single wall knot is placed to secure the bight, followed by a length of crown sinnet. Every ten inches, a triple manrope knot is made, terminating in a shorter bit of sinnet (because I ran out of rope) and a triple manrope knot as a stopper (center, facing the camera). I have yet to figure out how I will attach it to my porch rail, but there it shall be, as a warning to all who tread the gangway that an old pirate lives here, and if you are peddling politics or religion, her cutlass is within reach of her hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment