Tuesday, October 20, 2020

A Natural Blue


Day 7: When you think of mushrooms, you probably imagine them in woodsy, earthy shades: warm browns, dusky greys, red, cream, but certainly not vivid aqua blue. Nevertheless, Chlorociboria aeruginascens is exactly that, and as blue in life as it is in this photo. When my botany partner found it on the property he patrols and referred it to me for identification, I admitted to a sizeable jealousy saying, as I recall, "I'd give my eye teeth to see that in real life." Not one to disappoint, he brought me a piece of the wood hosting it, although by the time it arrived, the cups had disappeared and the only thing giving evidence to their former occupancy was a faint blue smear. After one false start, I found a suitable habitat for the "Joe Log," as it has come to be known, and since cups started appearing a month or so ago, I've been checking its development weekly. I do not want to disturb it too much because the fungus seems to be quite content in its new home, and since it grows on the underside of the wood, it is necessary to move it to make any observations. It has multiplied substantially in four weeks, and the largest cups measure roughly half a centimeter in diameter.

No comments:

Post a Comment