Saturday, October 24, 2020

Attention Span


Day 11: I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but presently, my attention span is equivalent to that of a nervous gerbil. I can't focus, can't stick with any project more than five minutes, am flitting from craft to craft like a butterfly in a summer meadow. A twenty-throw sequence on the loom seems interminable, two full rotations of the kumihimo disk almost more than I can manage before I feel I can no longer sit still and dart out to feed the birds. Fortunately, I'm not a nail-biter or I'd have them chewed to the bone. That said, I want to feel I've accomplished something, completed a project, finished a task to reassure myself that I have some marginal control over the pattern of my life instead of feeling like Sisyphus, endlessly pushing his rock up the hill only to have it roll back down again. To keep from tearing out my remaining hair, I turn the disk again, draw the weft across the warp, finding little of the comfort I once took in watching fabric grow beneath my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment