Thursday, November 12, 2020

Dances With Hypogymnias

Day 30: Okay, I'm usually really bad about seeing figures and faces in clouds and so on, but this one kinda leapt out at me. I took the photo at this angle because I wanted to show the tips of the lobes. I thought they looked like toes, and since several friends have asked me about the "Dead-man's Fingers" fungus lately, it seemed particularly timely. I did not see the face in the upper left quadrant until I opened the photo on the computer. I'm not sure I'd want to dance with her, though...just look at the size of those feet!

Hypogymnia enteromorpha is very similar in appearance to H. apinnata, but whereas the latter grows on conifer wood, enteromorpha is more accepting of dry-wood substrates such as old cedar fenceposts. Both have constrictions in their lobes and dark medullary ceilings. Chemical testing will separate the two if no other diagnostics are available.

No comments:

Post a Comment