Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Patience, Grasshopper


Day 36: For the first time since August 2017, I find myself without a full-sized quilt occupying a large hoop or frame before one of my two living-room chairs. "Patience Corner" is done, ready to go in the washing machine to remove the chalk and graphite marks which kept my hand-stitching aligned. Its destiny was determined long ago, and waits only for the personal "made by" labels to arrive because yes, I will be signing and dating all my quilts from here on. This is not to say that I do not have quilting projects in progress. Twenty "Dresden Plates" and a pile of "Scrappy Stars" both await a COVID-free time when I can visit a fabric store to find fabric for the "streets and alleys" which will separate their blocks, and a wall hanging is in the works on a smaller hoop. The Hexagon Quilt is nearly ready to be backed and batted for hand-stitching. While not as large as "Patience Corner," the hexagons will be a full-sized work, also to be gifted to a friend who has played a major role in my life. This is how I was raised: to give gifts of time and care in acknowledgement of friendship, crafts made special not by their monetary value, but by the love evident in their creation. The saying "Patience is a gift" reads two ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment