Monday, November 30, 2020

Turkey Dinner

Day 48: Even without COVID, it's difficult for me to find material for my daily posts at this time of year, so when I stepped out to feed the birdies this morning and spotted a couple of Grey Jays, I said aloud, "Oh, I think my blog shot for the day just flew in." I am almost certain that this is the same family grouping which comes for a brief visit each winter. It began with two birds and after a few years, a third arrived. Now there are four. They seldom stick around for more than a few days, but may return several times over the course of the winter. Now officially known as the Canada Jay, Perisoreus canadensis is a gregarious fellow, and in their normal habitat which here is usually considered to include the subalpine and forested zones, they can be quite brazen when it comes to stealing food from backpackers. I've had them land on my head, my hands, my shoulders, and even had one fly through a very narrow space between my hand and my lips, taking with it the graham cracker I had intended to put in my mouth. They are not quite as comfortable around humans when in populated areas, so I am not expecting this group to eat from my hand even though they did enjoy a post-Thanksgiving turkey dinner on the crow board.

No comments:

Post a Comment