Monday, December 28, 2020

Buddies

Day 76: Pandemic notwithstanding, my buddies are starting to show up at my place to celebrate the turning of the year and lengthening daylight. The clmbing Hydrangea (Hydrangea anomala) is one of the earliest of my ornamentals to show new growth. As far as flowering is concerned, its small clusters of loosely-held white blooms are, unspectacular but I do not grow it for blossoms. Rather, it displays a wealth of verdure where it mounts the garage wall opposite my kitchen window (a much prettier sight than blank siding) and in autumn, it turns vivid orange, holding its foliage long and late for an even lovelier visual treat. Flanking it are the House of Chirp and Pussywillow Cottage, residences occupied annually by the swallows who enjoy the coolness the leaves provide. Admittedly, its holdfasts grip the wood rather tightly once established, but I keep it pruned back, loosely espaliered into a fan terminating at the height of the trellis (a support it did not require). Even now, in the chill and frost of winter, its early and anxious buds are a promise of warmer, brighter days.

No comments:

Post a Comment