Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Floppy-Eared Cats


Day 63: Pandemic frustration has driven me to spend a lot of time perusing YouTube videos, and as you might suspect, that's a dangerous occupation for any crafter. That's where I found the instructions for a "Floppy-Eared Cat" quilt which was just too cute to pass up. There are two versions of the cat, one sitting up and one reclining, and they're meant to fit together in sets of four as shown above. Originally, I had intended to make one of each style just to be sure the directions were clear, planning to file the pattern away for future reference. I started with the pink sitty-up cat, mainly because I had an abundance of the pink fabric left over from the Kitty Quilt (I'd gotten a bargain on the remainder of the bolt), and then to find something to go with it, I made a laying-down cat with a pink print on a black background. Now thoroughly "pinked out" (my distaste for pink is legend) and also because I'm a crazy cat lady, it was only logical that I should make another pair of cats in blue. Four cats into an unintentional project, I had something which looked like it needed to be turned into a finished piece rather than being tucked away in the "prototype" bin, so I added a border, embroidered it with a stem stitch "rope" in black to tie in with the quilt blocks, and then hand-quilted the blocks. The YouTube pattern had not suggested any quilting design even though the individual pieces of fabric were rather large, so I added geometric legs, tails and face markings to the cats. Hey, it's a wall hanging! A black bias-tape border finished it off. And to think it all started with, "Hmmmm, that looks interesting."

No comments:

Post a Comment