Saturday, December 26, 2020

Tabula Rasa


Day 74: Tabula rasa, a clean slate. That's what you see here, or close. Having taken two projects off the floor loom on the day of Christmas Eve and with a measured warp waiting in the wings, I spent much of Christmas Day dressing the loom while a ham sizzled in the oven. My back gave out before I completed threading the warp, so I finished it up this morning. The potential here is enormous. First of all, it is hung for a traditional bird's-eye treadling, giving many options as far as loom-controlled patterns are concerned. Then, there's a cupboard full of cones of cotton in a wide assortment of colours. Just changing up patterns and colours, the combinations are myriad. However, I've been wanting to fiddle with hand-controlled weaves with these particular fibers, and because the bird's-eye threading also gives me a tabby (binder) shed, that option is open to me here. Looks pretty boring, that plain cream warp, but wait until you see how it livens up and dances when the colours are introduced!

No comments:

Post a Comment