Friday, December 11, 2020

Traditions


Day 59: Traditions are an important part of life, not only for the sense of bonding which they carry but also as something to anticipate with joy and hope. When one lives alone, the former is diminished by lack of connection, but there is no reason not to exploit the latter to its fullest benefit. As I have said before, I do not celebrate Christmas in the religious definition. I do put up a tree and I do exchange gifts with a small circle of friends, but my solemn observation is reserved for the Solstice. And without family to participate in Yuletide sing-alongs or elaborate Christmas dinners, I have had to create my own personal set of traditions, one of which is the making of spritz. I make them only at Christmastime, and not a single soul is here to reproach me for my lavish use of sprinkles. I've seen far too many cookies which appeared to have made the briefest pass through the coloured sugar, picking up only the few grains which allowed them to say, "Look! I'm festive!" Nope, in this household, you get sprinkles, lots of sprinkles to give that sugary crunch to rich almond-flavoured dough. Once a year is not such a sinful indulgence, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment