Thursday, January 7, 2021

Forest Bathing

Day 86: Between traffic and weather, my freedom to take walks locally was severely curtailed in early June. After being nearly struck by a careless driver on three separate occasions, I was unwilling to test my luck any further. For a while, I shifted to the exercise bike to stay in shape, but when wildfire smoke made even that impossible, I pretty much just crawled into the cave-like confines of my house and only ventured out into the yard. Traffic was at record levels through the summer and only backed off slightly as cooler temperatures set in. Rain kept people home, but it also kept me inside. Now whether or not it had anything to do with the political unrest yesterday, when I woke this morning, one of the first things I noticed was silence. Even at 4:30 AM or earlier, the road has been busy every day. Five minutes went by before I heard the first car. "Maybe," I said to myself, "maybe I can take a walk today."

A short but little-known trail near my home has felt the tread of my boots over the years I've lived here, whether I was participating in the Park's fitness challenge, walking just for the sake of walking, or on a botanical mission of one form or another. Of course, I don't always stick to the path when I'm botanizing, but today, I found enough treasures for a week's post material. Equally important, the experience of "forest bathing" was sorely needed by a stressed-out Crow. I feel green again.

No comments:

Post a Comment