Thursday, February 18, 2021

Quilting Bee


Day 128: As close friends will tell you, my mind works in strange ways. Oftentimes when I make a joke, it goes undetected for weeks (sometimes forever) before the person to whom it was directed says, "Oh, NOW I get it! That's what you meant." As a general rule, my humour involves word-play in some form or another, even when it translates to the visual in my quilts. Nearly all of my quilts have contained some private chuckle which, if you don't think like a Crow will probably never be recognized. For example, the quilt I'm currently piecing contains several nursery rhymes, including the Owl (obvious) and the Pussycat (also obvious) who went to sea (a nautical motif) in a beautiful pea-green boat (fabric colour but no boat, alas), all pieces within the same block. I don't plan it that way; it just seems to occur as I'm selecting fabrics for assembly. Sometimes the "joke" appears in the stitching, as above. It came to me as an afterthought one day as I was stitching the hexagon quilt. Flipped over to the plain white back, the honeycomb design was too obvious to let go unremarked. I decided it needed a bee...you know, a "quilting bee"...somewhere. Shown with a needle for scale, how long do you think it will take before the recipient of this quilt finds it?

No comments:

Post a Comment