Friday, March 26, 2021

Plying The Cinnamon Twist


Day 164: I go at my crafts in fits and starts, a factor which used to annoy my husband terribly. I'd spend six months doing cross-stitch and beadwork and then, without further ado, shelve the supplies for both and pick up sewing or needlepoint. The point he was missing was that I finished everything I started, sooner or later, as my interest in a particular form of fiberart circled around again. Unless I was driven to complete a project by a specific date, say for a birthday or wedding gift, it didn't make sense to me to work at something I found boring when I knew that a vacation from it of weeks or even months would eventually draw me back and perhaps even be more productive in the long term, but that logic escaped his view entirely. He objected that I would stockpile supplies only to abandon their craft after a few months, but in the broad view, that was simply not the case.

For the last four years, I have had a quilt (several different ones, actually) mounted on a frame which takes up a substantial portion of space in my living room. The quilt currently on it is almost complete. Even though I have begun piecing another one, I will probably put quilting aside for some time as I delight in once again having "room in my room." Weaving...well, weaving is another story. The big loom has a room of its own, and it seldom stands empty for more than a week. Admittedly, some projects have taken me months to complete because I got bored halfway through, but when I returned to them, I went at it with a vengeance, usually driven by having another project in mind. Other crafts are seasonal, like spinning. I set the wheel aside when our wet months began, simply because I don't have space inside to hang finished yarn to dry. Now that nicer days are in the forecast, I've settled in to finish the "cinnamon twist." During the winter, I picked and carded the remaining brown wool and finished spinning it a few days ago. Now I am plying it, having also spun up most of the white Corriedale needed for the project. What's next? I don't know, but the likelihood of another year of isolation leaves space for a lot of fiberarts projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment