Monday, April 5, 2021

Go-Faster Stripes


Day 174: The Sparrows with the go-faster stripes are back in number! Also known around here as "Racing-Stripe Sparrows," White-Crowned (Zonotrichia leucophrys) looks to me like he's wearing a designer bicycle helmet. The lines of white above his eyes intersect with the one over the top of his head, meeting at the back.

I am seeing a greater number of birds in my yard this spring than ever before, although they are all familiar species. I know that Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife was concerned about salmonellosis being spread and asked that people take down their backyard feeders. I took an alternate route, one which I instituted several years ago when House Finch Eye Disease (conjunctivitis) was prevalent: disinfecting the feeders by pouring boiling water on them once a week. I had noticed HFED in some of my visitors and read up on the subject. After I began disinfecting, it cleared up in my local population within two weeks and has not reoccurred. Nor have I had any sick or lethargic birds here this year, but I am wondering if the increase of visitors to my feeders is a result of other people discontinuing feeding. I think my readers know that I would take any measures I felt necessary to protect my birdie friends.

In other news, I am experiencing problems with my computer, so I will ask for your indulgence if there is a sudden cessation of posts from me. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment