Wednesday, April 28, 2021

We All Make Mistakes


Day 197: Now into weaving the fifth traditional bird's-eye towel on the floor loom, I settled down to work a few nights ago but noticed something odd in the first three inches. One of the diamonds looked a little off, although when I counted threads in each colour change, everything seemed to be correct. I wove a few more throws, but the discrepancy was bothering me. I finally resorted to pulling out a hand lens (used in fiberarts almost as often as in botany) to analyze the problem. Sure enough, 28 throws back, there was a treadling error. Rather cross with myself, I laid the shuttles aside and went to bed, thinking no one would notice if I left it there, especially since it had taken a hand lens for me to find the mistake. But this is not the way the Crow works. I kept myself busy with other projects for the next several days, unable to force myself to continue on the towel.

In my history as a fiber artist/needleworker, I have been known to unravel two-thirds of a sweater body in order to correct a mistake which didn't lend itself readily to being picked back. Likewise, I've torn out sections of cross-stitch in order to place a quarter-stitch I missed on the pattern. I could give more examples, but you get the idea. Mistakes, you see, are simply not allowed. Last night, I reached a determination. This morning, even before my first cup of coffee, I un-wove to the offending throw, fixed it, and re-wove to to my last stopping point. Now I can feel comfortable about going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment