Friday, May 28, 2021

Paint A Mile Of Canvas


Day 227: They say once you have "painted a mile of canvas," almost anyone will notice that their skills have improved. I have now illustrated over 30 birds and a small handful of flowers in addition to making a portrait of my kitty, and I am definitely becoming more familiar with what to expect from the various media I'm using in my sketches. I'm still exploring "style" and am discovering that it may need to be flexible when working with different subject matter. Inking a few feathers on a bird is one thing; applying it to a flower's center is another. I have yet to attempt watercolours seriously, having only recently begun to accumulate the hues I want in my palette. These were rendered in Prismacolor pencil and watercolour pencil, a combination I am coming to appreciate more and more. From the top left: Downy Woodpecker (possibly my best work so far), California Scrub-Jay, Red-Breasted Sapsucker, Northern Flicker, Western Tanager.

No comments:

Post a Comment