Thursday, May 20, 2021

Silly Basket


Day 219: This little project has been languishing in the back of a cupboard for at least a decade. I found the materials while looking for something else in the depths and thought, "Well, why not? It'll give my hands a break from spinning." An earlier version went somewhere, so many years ago that I've forgotten who received it. The method used is called twining and is my favourite basketry technique. It employs a doubled strand of weaver which is twisted once between each pair of uprights; in this case, weavers and uprights are both hemp twine. I've added random beads in an alternating pattern, eight rows completed between each vertical occurrence to give the 4" basket more texture and visual appeal. What will it hold? Like Winnie the Pooh's Useful Pot, it can hold anything which will fit inside, even a a blue and somewhat deflated balloon.

No comments:

Post a Comment