Sunday, July 18, 2021

Garden Report


Day 278: My gardening is now under supervision. While I was instructing the Mexican Sour Gherkins in proper climbing techniques and wondering how I was ever going to manage to eat all the Akebia fruits from my hand-pollination successes, he landed on the chicken-wire fence to oversee my work. We engaged in eye contact and a one-sided conversation for several minutes, and then he flew down to the ground inside the Berry Pen. He's been on the back porch several times this morning and cleaned up all the "lazy seeds" (shelled sunflower seeds) I laid out for his breakfast. He's beginning to look less tatty as he sheds the last of his baby feathers and his colour starts to come in, but those stubby tailfeathers make me laugh every time I see him. Poor kid's got no rudder! But he flies straight and true, and if anything can be said for his foraging skills, he knows exactly where the food comes from: me.

No comments:

Post a Comment