Monday, July 5, 2021

Goldmine


Day 265: There's a goldmine right outside my window. I can't recall a year when I've had as many American Goldfinches as have come to the feeders this summer, nor that they have ever taken up residence for so long. With Grosbeaks packed shoulder to shoulder on the trays (a situation which often leads to arguments and beak-fights), the Goldfinches have learned that the safest place to feed is on the ground. There's no dearth of seed there. The Grosbeaks are sloppy eaters and their cast-offs afford a banquet to those who couldn't book a table before the crowds arrived, but when the grass gets a little tall, searching for tidbits can be challenging nevertheless. I weed-whacked this morning, and before I'd even put the machine away, my guests showed their gratitude by showing up in droves. It's a busy place out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment