Thursday, July 29, 2021

Happy Face


Day 289: I'm not big on bedding plants, but this one came to me for free by virtue of having been planted somewhere it did not belong. Rather than throwing it in the trash, I allowed it to follow me home where I stuck it in my shady front flower bed where it has produced a steady (if small) succession of flowers. I love the fine yellow edge on the maroon blossoms! If it goes to seed and reproduces true to colour, so much the better. Flower morphology is frequently used to distinguish "pansies" from "violets" and "violas" (common names which are sometimes applied interchangeably) although all three belong to the genus Viola. "Pansy" generally refers to the large-flowered types which have two upright petals, two side petals which incline upwards, and one downward-pointing petal: the "happy faces" of the gardening trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment