Saturday, July 24, 2021

New Kids' Corner


Day 284: Any time I go out on Lake St. Clair, the first order of business is to visit the Sundews, and of course now I have a second group of "kids" to monitor, so I started with them. They're not easily visible in this photo, and my reason for posting it is to show you just how difficult they are to spot. See that slight red cast at the base of the green vegetation? From fifty feet away, that hue draws me like a magnet. It could just be stems of something else, but it might be Sundews. That was how I found the original Sundew Island (a piece of broken dock similar to this one): a touch of red. There are several hundred Sundews in this photo, believe it or not, but not a one of them had an open flower, which was what I was hoping for on Thursday. The sun had not yet risen above the tree tops, so I paddled around the lake for a few hours before approaching the second group I call Jack's Lot. Nope, no flowers there either. Buds, but no flowers. Still, a day on the water is better than a day at home, and a visit with the "kids" is always good.

No comments:

Post a Comment