Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Milkweed, Second Year


Day 302: The Barren Wasteland was getting out of hand, so early this spring, I weeded out the undesirables (frequently distributed in so-called area-specific wildflower mixes) to make room for other plants. I do not recall relocating any milkweeds. In fact, I do not remember seeing any milkweeds at all despite having attempted to establish them several times. Yet in addition to the ones I started from seed this year (now all of six inches tall), I seem to have two specimens, each standing at least three feet high. Will I get flowers and pods? If in fact, this is second-year growth and not some particularly vigorous first-year seedlings, they should come into bloom this season. I see no evidence of bud formation, however. Could these be from seed I had planted previously and which has lain dormant for several years? Whatever the answer may be to that question, I am happy to announce the presence of milkweed in the Barren Wasteland.

No comments:

Post a Comment