Sunday, August 8, 2021

Non-Stop Garden News


Day 299: The Garden News (hardy fuchsia) is Non-Stop (begonia) now, showcasing an assortment of grand openings and special features. The hummingbirds are having a heyday, unsure which flower to visit first. The hot weather did most of my annuals in, but the perennials (at least the ones I've chosen) have learned tricks to ensure their personal survival. When I first began tending flower beds, I planted annuals heavily, and although I never really pursued a particular colour scheme, each year had its dominant hue. My mother's assertion was that perennials would ensure a performance of some sort year after year. I finally came around to her way of thinking, convinced by a succession of peonies and delphiniums which argued strongly for her logic. Now I look forward to the return of those spots of dependable, reliable colour, and as a bonus, the Rufous and Anna's Hummingbirds have marked the waypoint of my property with their internal GPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment