Friday, August 20, 2021

Six Of One, Half Dozen Of The Other


Day 311: Because I am a small person, I like small things: cherry tomatoes, for example. I grow bite-sized Sungolds not only for their shorter growing period, but for their convenient consumability. For the same reason, I was enchanted by the idea of Mexican Sour Gherkins, a miniature cucumber which could easily be fobbed off in a Barbie-doll diorama as a seedless watermelon. Yep, what you see in this photo are fully ripe cukes, and "sour" is something of a misnomer. They have a slight tang to their crisp white flesh and a flavour which is vaguely reminiscent of the aforementioned melon's transition zone from pink to white which, as we all know, is the part used in making watermelon pickles. And let me tell you, that plant produces! It has climbed the tower, advanced outward to the fence and is busily making dozens, perhaps hundreds of little bitty cucumbers. I'm not sure enough will be ripe simultaneously for me to harvest them for pickles (there might be, if I could stop eating them), but next year, I plan to grow more expressly for that purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment