Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder


Day 344: Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so the big question is: Where are my Cedar Waxwings? I have been asking that since the middle of August when the Mountain-ash berries first turned orange, and I have not seen a single bird. It's uncharacteristic of them to give my yard a miss, especially when the table is laid so lavishly. That said, the Chickadees have returned from summer vacation, although they are as yet hesitant to come to my hand for sunflower seeds. The familiarization process must start again, particularly with young birds who have no memory of the outstretched palm. Likewise, older birds will be cautious until they are certain the human perch means them no harm. Still, their cheerful presence is some consolation for the marked lack of  Waxwings.

No comments:

Post a Comment