Monday, September 27, 2021

Akebia Abundance


Day 349: I think I let this experiment get away from me just a little bit, although I must say that my skill at hand-pollination is much improved over my early attempts. Here you see 21 Akebia fruits, each four to six inches long, chock-full of seeds and to a significantly lesser extent, a mildly sweet pulp which is very difficult to separate from them. The best procedure I have found is to put a teaspoon-sized mass on your tongue, roll it around until your saliva loosens the pulp, swallow it, being careful not to ingest any of the seeds which can then be spit into an empty rind for disposal. Ten more pods preceded these, and there are at least ten more still ripening on the vine. A slightly sweeter taste can be achieved by refrigerating the pods for a day or two before eating, but do not wait too long. They do not hold well once they have been picked. I probably won't be able to stay ahead of the crop at a consumption rate of 3-4 per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment