Sunday, September 12, 2021

Horticulture At Work


Day 334: Readers may recall a post or two from last spring when I was hand-pollinating my Akebia vine. I got a little carried away with the endeavour, easy to do when one has had prior success, and easy to forget that these unusual fruits demand that you acquire a taste for them (something of a long process!) and are rather difficult to eat. The pods change from green to yellowish (right), and then take on a pale lavender tinge, opening along the lengthwise "seam." In a few days when they split to expose their seedy pulp (the signal that they are fully ripe), I will publish another photo and details regarding their consumption. There are 30-40 fruits on the vine, more than I can reasonably consume. This is what you get for taking horticulture to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment