Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Chlorociboria Stick Report


Day 14: A month ago, I reported that the Joe Stick was developing a few scattered dots of Chlorociboria aeruginascens. Even though it was early in its season, I thought it looked a bit feeble, and I wondered if it had suffered from the hot spell we had in June. First of all, I'm surprised that I was able to provide it with proper habitat. Second, I have no idea what its life expectancy may be, although I'm sure it will eventually deplete the nutrient supply in the Stick. I don't check it often, not wanting to disturb its environment, but today I pulled it out from under the overhanging ferns, removed a decaying hosta leaf and got quite a surprise when I flipped it over. The fungus grows on the bottomside of the stick where it touches the ground. The full 18" length showed Chlorociboria discs, with this dense patch in the middle. Funny how we each have our own definition of "simple pleasures." Just give me a fungusy stick, and I'll be happy as Larry.

No comments:

Post a Comment