Sunday, October 31, 2021

Masks


Day 18: It goes without saying that I enjoy costuming, and I'll take almost any excuse to get dressed up. I've always garbed for the trick-or-treaters, but out here, you don't open your door after dark even on Hallowe'en and the kids would rather make the rounds in town where they're assured enough candy to keep them sick until Easter. However, in pre-covid times, friends would occasionally throw parties, and I could always be counted on to show up in something elaborate and homemade. That said, I don't usually put on a mask because I wear glasses. These three are cushioned with foam at the forehead to keep them away from my lenses. Generally, my costuming efforts involve quite a bit of make-up, and on one notable occasion, I had started the process of applying prosthetics fairly early in the day, knowing that I had a two-hour drive ahead of me to get to a gathering in Seattle. Hunting season had opened, and some dimwit had decided to try to shoot an elk from the highway despite the fact that the animal was on private property. Someone called the sheriff, and because I had gotten the license number and a description of the vehicle involved, the deputy wanted to interview me. I had forgotten I was partially costumed when I stepped out to talk to him and to his credit, he never said a word about my Vulcan ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment