Friday, October 29, 2021

Nalbinding With Handspun


Day 16: You might imagine that my home would be filled with handcrafts and examples of fiber arts, given the volume I produce, but you would be mistaken. Oh, there are towels in the cupboard and rugs on the floor, two quilts and the occasional piece of art, but for the most part, the things I create are given as gifts. That said, it's nice to be able to make something for yourself now and then instead of shopping for it, or maybe just because you think it would be fun. I don't really need another winter hat, but I've had nalbinding on my mind, so I decided it was time to use up some of my handspun. This greyish-brown (brownish-grey?) wool came from my ram. It was one of the few skeins I've spun at a bulky weight and consequently wouldn't match gauge with any other yarn in the cedar chest. Although there's enough to make more than one hat, a scarf would be out of the question unless I put another wool with it. I'm using the Oslo stitch, a relatively simple nalbinding stitch to make a typically Scandinavian-style "cat hat" with a turned-up brim, essentially a rectangle worked in the round. Two corners stick up as "ears" and may be worn positioned as such, but alternately, the points can be set on the head toward the front and back like a garrison cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment