Thursday, October 14, 2021

Shaggies On The Menu


Day 1: Today, this blog enters its twelfth year of continuous daily publication of essays and photos covering natural history, botany and fiber arts. It has occasionally ventured into other tangential subject matter (including a rant or two for which I hope my readers will forgive me), but primarily, my goal has been to make science less scary, and to inspire creativity and learning among my readership. I always like to start the new "year" with something special, so please join me for a delicious bowl of Shaggymane soup.

Since Columbus Day weekend meant that outdoor enthusiasts from every walk of life were out for a last-gasp hike, I didn't return to Coprinus Corner until yesterday (Tuesday) when I thought I'd have the woods to myself. As soon as I rounded the bend, I saw that many of the nubbins I'd noted on Friday had matured and were already turning to ink. As I got closer, I found quite a few finger-sized specimens in the grassy verge, but the batch which always grows up right smack in the middle of the dirt road had been trampled by horses. I had to remind myself that the presence of horses may have contributed to the Shaggies' preference for this particular spot, but that's another story. In any event, I collected enough for a very large bowl of soup, and left many more behind to ensure the continuing fruitfulness of the patch. This will be the end of the Shaggies for this all-too-fleeting season. Oh, but it was good while it lasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment