Monday, October 4, 2021

Sunset Sheepscape

Day 356: After isolating the sheep motif from a krokbragd pattern in a book, I knew I wanted to turn it into a project of some sort. The book sheep were a bit tall and skinny for my tastes, so I changed up the draft to give them more wool and shorter legs, and as I was working them, an idea began forming which would allow me to use up some of the thrums and shuttle over-winds all weavers seem to accumulate. As I wove along, I added a stream, a forest, snow-capped mountains and a sunset/sunrise fading into a star-flecked sky without graphing out a pattern. Hindsight being clearer than foresight, I should have put more sheep at the bottom to balance the visual weight of the night sky, but I was happy with the way the concept of a "sunset sheepscape" had worked out. Another version is percolating: a whole flock of sheep in a pasture dotted with tiny red and yellow flowers like those in the lower portion of the pasture here. Bear in mind that I am constrained to work with a pattern repeat of only four threads. That doesn't give a lot of latitude for creating a design.

No comments:

Post a Comment