Monday, November 29, 2021

Networking


Day 47: Although we speak the same language, I could bet that what you mean by "networking" is something entirely different than I mean by the same term. Having played around with making a couple of simple bags and a snood, I decided it was time to up my game with the challenge of clustered stitches in a dainty doily. Despite appearances, I do have a "pink and fluffy" side, and it manifests largely in a love of lace, whether knitted, crocheted, tatted, made with bobbins, woven or otherwise. However, the days of antimacassars and jabots have passed, and lace-work is seldom seen in homes or on garments, and certainly not to the extent it was employed in the 1800s and earlier. Lace-making, it would appear, is a dying craft, too time-consuming for the hurried, busy lifestyles of modern times. It must be said that lace demands hours from its creators, and substantial after-care in laundering, starching, pinning and drying. Yet to me, lace is art and, as such, adds elegance to any setting, even one as down-to-earth as my rural home.

No comments:

Post a Comment