Friday, December 3, 2021

Anything But Blah


Day 51: Whatever it was, it certainly wasn't Blah because Blah Coral (Ramaria acrisiccescens) has straight branches. I discovered a dozen or so very curly specimens of this fungus growing in the moss within a yard or so of an asphalt road in a small community of houses. I did not take a specimen, but its general morphology ruled out Ramaria and guided me toward the Clavulinas. It would require microscopic examination to completely eliminate the less common contenders, but I suspect that it is Clavulina coralloides, which is most frequently observed in the Pacific Northwest. I'l content myself with that for now. In any event, I thought they were quite pretty, a purely subjective and artistic appraisal as opposed to a scientific one. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment