Saturday, December 25, 2021

Merry Siskinmas!


Day 73: It's Siskinmas at my house! Six inches of snow have fallen since I took this photo yesterday, and the number of Pine Siskins has increased proportionately. They knock on the window when the feeders go empty, and when I open the back door to go feed them, the ones sitting on the step try to get between my feet to go in the house. "Hey! You don't want to do that! There's a CAT in there!"

While I am enjoying this white Christmas, it has its down side. At some point between 4:13 AM when I looked at the clock to see if it was time to get up and 4:45 when I got out of bed, we'd had a brief power failure. I'd been up about 45 minutes when a second one left me in the dark. The crews were already in the area repairing some other "small outages" (per the Dispatch recording), and my service was restored an hour later. My custom is to sit in the living room on Christmas morning with only the tree, candles and other decorative lights lit until the sun comes up, enjoying the silence. Then I open my gifts, and the other preparations for the day begin. If power permits, this afternoon, Tippy and I will be enjoying a figgy-glazed ham and Brussels sprouts, and the Siskins will be indulging in a continuous supply of black-oil sunflower seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment