Monday, December 20, 2021

Three Sisters

 

Day 68: This post has been scheduled since August 12, but since the little critters shown here were destined to be Christmas presents for my sisters-of-the-heart, I couldn't reveal them before this. Their creation began when Patty, aka Goldfinch, showed me a photo of a darling little amigurumi wren, and although I couldn't find the exactly pattern for it, I was able to locate a European Robin which was similar. I made a couple of them for practice and then thought, "I've got to make a finchy for Finchy!" I simply changed up the colours and adjusted the pattern to accommodate a Goldfinch's most distinctive field markings, and then the thought occurred to make a Crow. That required creating a broader tail and a longer, heavier beak. I sat my completed Crow down next to the Goldfinch and said, "Well, dang. Where's Alison? I gotta make a Mouse for Mousie." I couldn't find a pattern I liked, so Mouse is entirely original. And there you have them: the three sisters-of-the-heart, born of different parents, separated by as much as 3000 miles, but sisters nonetheless.

Footnote: the three of us have a tradition we call "the Twelve Days of Christmas." Each of us sends twelve gifts to the other two, and then starting on December 14, we gather on line to open one prezzie from each of our two counterparts every night through Christmas Eve. The last present is opened on Christmas morning, but not simultaneously. Last night was Day #6, and the Three Sisters made their appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment