Thursday, February 17, 2022

Ridiculously Retro


Day 127: This post was prompted by one from sister-of-my-heart Patty. She has been drawing and painting retro objects as part of a project this month, and her recent post of a charming little ceramic cat reminded me of the god-awful wallpaper lining in my medicine cabinet. First of all, I am not a dog person (and the less said on that subject, the better). Secondly, the former owners of my home had apparently been living in a time bubble for at least 25 years, as demonstrated by their taste in decor. My immediate concerns included ridding the kitchen of the calf-sh** brown mottled linoleum and the hideous orange fruit-and-veg patterned contact paper which covered the backsplash and countertops. The two-inch shag orange carpet in the living room also had to go, but it took me several more years to get around to that point financially. The one vestige of the previous occupant's lack of good taste remains in the medicine cabinet, largely because it was applied before the shelves were tacked in place, and it would require dismantling the entire cabinet to get the horrid stuff off. I've lived with it for thirty-plus years, so it might as well stay even though it makes me cringe every time I open the door. Patty, this one's for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment