Saturday, February 19, 2022

Skunk's Howe


Day 129: The snowdrops are blooming on Skunk's Howe. It has been just shy of three years since our kitty-girl left us, and sometimes I think Tippy misses her as much as I do. I've seen him catch her scent on a favourite toy, on a blanket, and the questioning "Mirrl?" he directs to me as he makes eye contact defies any suggestion of anthropomorphization that might arise. If I could think as he does, I might understand his emotions better, but although I cannot do so, they are as genuine as my own. Humans, prideful and pitiful subjects that we are, cannot even bridge the gap of cultural differences among our own kind. How can we possibly hope to comprehend how another species thinks and emotes? What goes through Tippy's kitty-mind when he remembers Skunk? Would a human recognize the emotion, or would it be entirely alien? We have a long way to go in our evolution before that question can be answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment