Thursday, March 17, 2022

Currantly On Display


Day 155: The Red-flowering Currants are springing forth with pink buds now. Not to be confused with Red Currants (the "domestic" type which has greenish-white flowers, and which you'll find in my berry pen ), Ribes sanguineum is native to western Washington. It bears dusty blue fruits, long on seeds and short on flavour, although its hot pink flowers give it the redeeming merit of being a strong hummingbird attractor. In my yard, both Rufous and Anna's Hummingbirds will bypass the feeder, preferring to sip natural nectar from the early-season blossoms. I maintain two Red-flowering Currant bushes primarily for the entertainment of my little avian friends. The fruit is considered edible, but only once have I attempted to add the juice from the berries to a jelly. I found that the faint musty taste of the fresh berries carried over too strongly even when used as a small proportion in the jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment