Friday, March 4, 2022

Old Faithful


Day 142: Old Faithful has been hiding in a cool, dark cupboard since early October, having a bit of a winter rest. This particular "Non-Stop Begonia" tuber is one I purchased in 2017, and has only asked for a bit of fresh dirt each growing season in exchange for a lavish display of red-orange blooms held above mahogany-coloured foliage when it's at its peak. It graces my front steps where the plant only receives direct light for a few hours in the morning, a bright spot of colour to welcome me home if I've gone out. As chilly weather approaches in the fall, I break off the stems, wrap the tuber in paper towels, and tuck it away for another snooze. Toward the end of February, my internal calendar reminds me to check on it and invariably, I find that it has already started putting up shoots. Back in the pot it goes, refreshed by its hibernation and some new soil, to be kept indoors until mid-May when I can be fairly certain that a killing frost won't harm it. Now that's what I call good service!

No comments:

Post a Comment