Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Steamed Dumplings


Day 140: Ambitious though I may be in some regards, making my own dumpling/wonton wrappers is a lot of work, so I generally default to commercially-prepared ones. As it happened, I discovered two packages of them under the butter in my freezer, so I thought I'd make wonton soup, not considering that the skins might not be in optimum condition after being frozen for...wait, did that pull-date say "2019?" Oh, dear. I had already made the filling, a delicious combination of ground pork, green onions and napa cabbage flavoured with soy and oyster sauces, and I suppose if I'd thought about it, I could have put it in steamed buns, but I decided to go ahead with Plan A. As I had feared, the wonton wrappers had become rather dry and brittle, and even when left to rest under a damp towel for several minutes, they just became sticky. What to do? What to do? They certainly weren't suitable for soup, not with holes in the sides, so I did the next best thing. I steamed them. I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that this story has a happy ending. They were delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment