Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Growth


Day 196: For years, I have started seedlings in pellets or dirt-filled pots set in cheap plastic trays which, true to form, have deteriorated with time and exposure to sunlight, so this year, I decided to up my game and bought a better quality products to do the job. The tray is heavier plastic, the lid is vented, but most importantly, a styrofoam form holds specially-made sponge-like inserts with pre-dibbles holes for receiving the seeds. Watering is done from the bottom only, and the sponges are designed to draw up the precise amount of water required for sprouting and seedling health. They say that hindsight is ever so much clearer than foresight; I wish I'd done this years ago. So far, I've achieved a germination rate of 99%, and the plants are noticeably stronger. That said, there were a few things I still wanted to have in pots like cilantro and basil. These will be kept in the kitchen and used on demand until I can plant another crop outdoors. I've already made one batch of pesto using the thinnings from the basil pot, and I'll pick cilantro later this week. Fingers crossed that we don't get a hot spell in June!

No comments:

Post a Comment