Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Band-tailed Pigeon, Patagioenas Fasciata


Day 216: If I could, I would say a favourable word about Band-tailed Pigeons (Patagioenas fasciata, syn. Columba fasciata). I would gladly praise their redeeming merits if they had any, but the fact of the matter is that they are my least favourite bird, even surpassing Starlings and Red-winged Blackbirds on the annoyance scale. They are gluttons, cleaning out my bird feeders if my vigilance relaxes for more than three minutes. At this time of year, I spend a sizeable portion of my day rushing at the window, arms flapping, screaming, "Get out of here, you (redacted) pigeons!" This acts only to shift them over onto the power line, so I go out to the kitchen, slide back the door, clap my hands loudly four or five times, sending them off into the trees. By the time I've returned to my chair, two or three of them will invariably be back. They are the largest of North American pigeons, and in my opinion, certainly the most obnoxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment