Saturday, June 18, 2022

Just Say Cotoneaster


Day 248: "You say 'to-MA-to,' I say 'to-MAH-to.'" No, not really, but I do say "lichen" to rhyme with "kitchen" rather than "likin'" and I eat "sc-ONNs" rather than "sc-OHnes," and I have a "co-TONE-ee-aster" growing at the edge of my property. It is not a "cotton-easter." It has nothing to do with bunnies, their tails or baskets full of eggs and candy. I have a vague recollection of having planted it shortly after I moved here, and an even more vague memory of pulling it out and relocating it, although I can't be sure whether I replanted it or whether it took root where I threw it into the brush. I promptly forgot all about it until one day when its red berries attracted my eye, and I then spent some time trying to figure out what it was. How easily we forget! In any event, it seems to be happy where it is, and it's not spreading like Cotoneaster sometimes does. It can stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment