Monday, July 4, 2022

Kittygons


Day 264: After making two cat-themed "Cathedral Window" quilts, I still had a lot of feline prints left over. Since I enjoyed making a Hexagon Quilt so much, I decided to make one using "kittygons." One of the prints was rather large, so I used it to determine the size to which the hexagons needed to be cut to best display the cats. These larger prints need to be "fussy-cut," i.e., carefully centered on the desired image, so I've begun with them to get the hard part out of the way first. Cutting the smaller prints can be more casual. I was struck by how much the focal piece in this image resembled Skunk when she was just a little babycat ("babycat" is one word, people...don't argue with me), so it will have a place of honour in the finished quilt, and yes, I plan to keep this one. The layout requires 192 print hexagons, 32 solid-colour centers and enough background hexagons to sink the Titanic. I haven't chosen fabrics for the background, centers or border yet, but it will be backed with white muslin.

No comments:

Post a Comment