Sunday, July 24, 2022

Rare And Endangered Pea


Day 284: This vetch-like legume is one of the most significant milestones of my botanical career. It is on the state's list of rare and endangered species, and Pierce County is at the northernmost margin of its limited range. I first observed Torrey's Peavine (Lathyrus torreyi) after receiving an alert from my contact at the WTU Herbarium. Following his instructions for reaching the site, I found the vines occupying a patch roughly 12" x 20" with a few fading flowers and, as I recall, no evidence of developing buds. I am happy to report that two years later, Torrey is in good health as of a recent visit to the location, and the patch has now more than doubled in size. The vines were displaying both blossoms and new buds, but how the first seed reached this site is a matter of conjecture. Obviously, I can't disclose the location. Just suffice to say that I think it's an odd place to have a pea.

No comments:

Post a Comment