Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Snappy


Day 266: After several valiant but entirely unsuccessful attempts to grow snapdragons from seed, I finally gave up and bought starter plants from a nursery about ten years ago. Ironically, those plants not only self-sowed, but the originals over-wintered with the stems remaining green despite hard frosts. While I am grateful for their contribution to my colour garden, I do wish that the bronze one had survived. It was apparently not as hardy as these two old standards. I've let these have their will, so that now snapdragons pop up in the oddest places: back behind the tall delphiniums and peonies, under the sweetfern shrub. I love their playfulness, surprising me by leaping out of shadows where I least expected them to hide. Maybe some day, I'll bring more home from the store. I mean, you can never have too many snapdragons, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment