Thursday, October 6, 2022

A Weaver's Journal


Day 358: As a matter of course, I nearly always add a little extra warp to my weaving projects so that I can make a sample to put in my weaving journal. The "journal" is kept on 3 x 5 cards stored in recipe boxes, and each one contains information about the weaving pattern and thread (draft, ends per inch, number of warp threads, etc.), as well as my comments about the finished product. For example, the green/yellow cloth in the 12 o'clock position reads as follows: "9' warp 8/2 cotton, 214 ends; weft Brassard bouclé; 15epi (rigid heddle); 12Y, *10G, 10Y, 10G* 12Y; yielded 3 towels 24 x 12.5 raw, 22 x 11.25 finished. Could be wider." The colours are also noted, and from a previous card in the journal, I knew not to use the bouclé as warp because it "does not hold up well as fringe." Of course, not every card has a sample attached to it because I was using the same fiber and draft, but the file does note the project dimensions (raw and finished). It's important to keep records such as these with each new fiber or draft used. That way, adjustments can be made if needed, or a project can be duplicated if so desired. It's also a good thought to record the final disposition of the finished pieces, especially if you are giving hand-woven items as gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment