Wednesday, October 19, 2022

The Raspberry Thieves


Day 6: No one likes to get prickled when they're picking raspberries, not even birds. You'd think that those scaly feet were prickle-proof, but in fact, they're not, and it would appear that my Steller's Jays have come up with a solution to avoid being spiked. Clever corvids that they are, they take careful aim, fly at the berry of choice, picking off three or four drupelets in passing. I watched the process being repeated numerous times, not knowing whether to laugh or cry. I finally decided on the former because I already have at least eight pints of raspberries in the freezer for winter, and my avian friends are having a pretty hard time what with dry conditions and heavy smoke. We should get some relief from both by the end of the week, but I'm afraid the raspberries are done for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment