Tuesday, October 11, 2022

The Waffle Project


Day 363: The three waffle-weave towels for the October Weave-Along are done, and I am quite happy with them despite the fact that I somehow ignored the instruction to double-sley the reed. In fact, I am so pleased with them that I'll probably warp the same way for the next ones, directions aside. After all, weaving is a creative process. The towels haven't been washed yet, so they're still fairly flat. Washing will cause the weave to draw up, leaving little divots between the long floats, very like those you'd see on your breakfast waffle. Finished measurement (raw) is 26" x 15". This should draw in to roughly 24" x 13". I don't know yet if I will hem them or leave a fringe. That will depend on how well the fiber holds up in the wash. At any rate, they are hemstitched. Oh, and I realized why I got three towels when I thought I had warped for two. When I was winding the warp, I used the guide string I'd measured out for weaving on the floor loom. When I changed to the table loom, I didn't change the string, and therefore had an extra three feet of warp in my measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment